[ASCE YM] ASCE Upcoming Events

Heady, Bob Bob.Heady at strand.com
Wed Apr 8 15:33:02 CDT 2009

Younger Members:

I am writing to give you a little update on the year and to remind you of upcoming events.

So far this year the Younger Members Chapter has participated in the following events:
-ASCE Younger Member Leadership Conference held on January 9-10 In Denver CO.,  President Bob Heady attended - Items such as the ASCE Core of Knowledge and Region 3 Issues were discuss next year's conference will be held in Cleveland, Ohio
                -ASCE Social with OSPE Young Professionals at BW-3 on Lane Ave. held on January 14, 2009 (18 people attended including approximately 6 OSU students)
                -Columbus Blue Jackets Game with Ohio University ASCE Student Chapter on February 10, 2009 (Approximately 35 people in attendance)
-Career Day at Westerville's Heritage Middle School held March 19, 2009, President Bob Heady and Vice President Kris Ruggles spoke to 3 groups of middle schools students about Civil Engineering.  The YM chapter provided scientific calculators as prizes to 4 students that correctly performed a differential leveling calculation in the shortest amount of time.
-ASCE 9th Annual Leadership Training in Government Relations "Fly-In" held March 25-26 ,2009 in Washington, D.C., President Bob Heady attended - 160 ASCE members attended form all over the country.  Three main topics were lobbied for: The Dam Rehabilitation and Repair Act, Aviation Funding Re-appropriation, and Surface Transportation Funding Re-appropriation.  This event coincided with the complete release of the 2009 Report Card for Americas Infrastructure on March 25, 2009.  Please see the national website for the complete report card (Overall grade of D, $2.2 Trillion dollar need over next 5 years to raise to a B average)

Up Coming Events:
-April Dinner Meeting for Central Section April 16, 2009 at Ohio University (Registration Closes Tomorrow email Gerry Lynskey at glynskey at riverconsulting.com)
-ASCE Career Day April 21, 2009 (Contact Beth Meek at bmeek at bbcm.com<mailto:bmeek at bbcm.com> for info)
-Ohio Infrastructure Report Card Release May 20, 2009 at Ohio State House
-Happy Hour with National President May 20, 2009 (Tentatively at Varsity Club, OSU Campus)
-ASCE Golf Outing June 26, 2009 Darby Creek Golf Course

The Golf Outing is our top money maker for the year.  We serve lunch (burgers and hotdogs) and dinner (chicken, steaks, pie) for the outing.  The Central Section then splits the proceeds of the event with the Younger Members Chapter.  If anyone is interested in helping please contact me.  Additionally if anyone is interested in running for office next year please let me or another officer know.

Sincerely,

Bob Heady

ASCE Central Ohio Section,
Younger Members President