[ASCE YM] FW: ASCE YMs on Board-Level Committees

Heady, Bob Bob.Heady at strand.com
Fri Dec 5 08:07:21 CST 2008

Good Morning

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  I would like to thank
everyone that attended and helped with this year's Happy Hour after
OTEC.  There were approximately 100 people in attendance from all four
organizations and the event was a success.

 A reminder that the Central Section will be having a Dinner Meeting
December 18, 2008 at the Columbus Zoo (information at the bottom of this
email).

Additionally we have received a request for nominations for Younger
Members to serve on ASCE Board-Level Committees; this is a great
opportunity to get involve and add a Younger Members prospective to
these committees.  Anyone that maybe interested should read the email
below and contact me as soon as possible.  We need to respond by
December 19, 2008.

Happy Holidays

Bob Heady

President

ASCE Central Ohio Section Younger Members

Robert C. Heady, E.I., S.I.

Strand Associates, Inc.

4433 Professional Parkway

Groveport, Ohio 43125

P: 614-835-0460

F: 614-835-0466

E: bob.heady at strand.com

Memorandum

To:        Younger Member Presidents/Chairs/Contacts

Cc:        CYM, CYM Corresponding Members

From:    Marie Maly, P.E., M.ASCE, Chair, Committee on Younger Members

Subject:               Opportunities to Serve on ASCE's Board-Level
Committees - Share with your Younger Members

Each year, the President-Elect of ASCE selects interested members of the
Society to fill positions on Board-level committees.  These committees
cover a variety of topics and involve different levels of time
commitment.  The committees may have specific eligibility requirements;
however, they could all benefit from a Younger Member's perspective.  In
addition, your participation will provide valuable leadership experience
and networking opportunities.

In accordance with the Committee on Younger Members' (CYM) charge and
visioning plan to increase Younger Member involvement and participation
in all levels of the Society, we invite you to seek placement on a
Board-level committee.  There are over 20 Board-level committees,
including:

Committee on Annual and Specialty Conferences (CASC) - provide oversight
for ASCE conferences and build alliances with Institutes and other
entities

Committee on Critical Infrastructure (CCI) - provide guidance and
direction on activities related to homeland security and multi-hazard
protection of infrastructure

Educational Activities Committee (EdAC) - enhance Civil Engineering
education

History & Heritage Committee (HHC) - celebrate the history and heritage
of the Civil Engineering profession

International Activities Committee (IAC) - help serve international
members by exchanging information and cooperating with other countries

Membership Committee (MC) - share your great ideas on member attraction
and retention

A complete list of Board-level committees can be found in the Official
Register.  (http://www.asce.org/or/)  Many of the committees select
Corresponding Members in addition to full members, so there are a wide
variety of opportunities and responsibility levels (Corresponding
Members are not usually eligible for reimbursement, so generally, they
do not attend face-to-face meetings).

Blaine Leonard, President-Elect, will be working to fill committee
positions after the first of the year for terms beginning in October
2009.  Also, the President and President-Elect of ASCE sometimes appoint
Task Committees.  These are short-term commitments with a specific
focus.  We do not know what kinds of Task Committees will be created
yet, but if you are interested in participating that way, we would be
happy to pass your name on.

If you are interested in taking this opportunity to meet people and have
a positive effect on our profession and our Society, please let me know
which committee(s) you are interested in by December 19.  If multiple
committees spark your interest, please assign them an order of
preference.  We would also appreciate it if you could let us know
whether you are in the public or private sector and your area of
practice.  CYM would be happy to assist you in the
nomination/application process.

Please share this information with your Younger Members - we challenge
each Younger Member Group to find at least one member who would be
willing to serve on an ASCE committee.  It is truly a great experience.
Thank you for your dedication to ASCE!

Marie A. Maly, P.E., M.ASCE
Chair and Central Geographic Member,
ASCE Committee on Younger Members

1044 North 115th Street, Suite 300
Omaha, NE 68154-4436
Ph: 402-493-4800
Direct: 402-431-6330
Fax: 402-493-7951
mmaly at schemmer.com

DECEMBER DINNER MEETING

Date:                December 18, 2008

Time:                5:30 PM Registration and Cash Bar

                        6:00 PM Dinner and Program

Location:          Water's Edge Pavilion #2

Columbus Zoo & Aquarium

Powell Road, Powell, Ohio

Speaker:           Karen Huebel, Exhibit Design Manager, Planning and
Design Department,

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

Ms. Huebel has been in the zoo exhibit construction business for over 20
years. After volunteering as an exhibit artist at the Burnet Park Zoo in
Syracuse, New York, she began working full time at the New York
Zoological Society's Bronx Zoo as an Exhibit Artist.  In this capacity
she worked as part of the design/fabrication team creating exhibits
throughout the zoo including fabricating trees, mud banks, pools,
painting murals, and many of the other basic elements of exhibit
construction. She then joined the Toledo Zoological Gardens design team,
where I gained extensive knowledge of graphics and interpretive design/
fabrication.

In 1996 Ms. Huebel joined the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium's Planning and
Design Department and began overseeing the zoo exhibit construction
during the past 12 year expansion.  Currently she provides project
management and on site art direction of the exhibit construction, in
addition to coordinating and managing the graphics and interpretive
design/fabrication for the capital projects at the zoo.

In addition, Ms. Huebel manages the exhibit design and exhibit
technology of the zoo, coordinating the upgrades and maintenance of
animal exhibits, graphics and interactive technology on zoo grounds.

Educational background:

Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the State University of New York at
Oswego, Oswego, New York

Paralegal Certificate, Columbus State Community College, Columbus Ohio

Menu:               Buffet of grilled chicken or vegetable lasagna with
salad, green bean medley and garlic mashed potatoes, dinner rolls and
butter and dessert.

Cost:                $25 Member and Guests ($20 life members and $15
students)

Cost includes dinner and parking (if not a zoo member - see below).  You
can pick up parking passes at River, 3000 Corporate Exchange Drive,
Suite 400, Columbus, Ohio 43231.  You will be responsible for admission
to the zoo (if you are a zoo member, your membership pays for parking
and admission and you do not need a parking pass - just simply use your
membership card).  The meeting will be held at the Water's Edge Pavilion
#2.  This is located under the bridge, behind the carousel.  Ask zoo
personnel for directions.

Reservations:    Please email reservations to Melisa Wilson at
mwilson at riverconsulting.com or by phone 614-890-3456 by noon, December
15, 2008.

Hope to see everyone there!!

Gerard K. Lynskey